Sleep problems, a carousel of thoughts, you are awake and still somehow completely exhausted?
Why don’t you find sleep and how can you solve it? Lack of sleep has become one of the biggest health challenges.
We will give you tips on how to solve your challenges.
The advantages of your good sleep:
– You process information and memories better. Our mental and physical well-being improves noticeably. Stress and all things caused by stress are relieved.
– Your immune system can be strengthened by sufficient and good sleep. The sleep hormone melatonin is a natural anti-aging agent.
– Our pituitary gland produces a growth hormone, especially at night. This is responsible for activating our muscle repair and tissue growth.
– through sufficient sleep, we reduce dark circles and our skin looks fresh and rested.
Who is responsible for your restful slumber?
Our “inner clock” is a pea-sized gland that produces our hormones. The pineal gland. It directs many processes and is responsible for our biorhythm. Above all, the hormone melatonin is involved in our sleep. Melatonin is controlled by light. If it is always bright in the evening, your retina transmits the information that not much melatonin needs to be released to your small but very important gland. The result is that your body does not come to rest.
What are sleep killers and how can you replace them to get to sleep?
- Often heard and so much truth to it: Laptop, mobile phone or TV have nothing to do in the bed and bedroom. Even if you just want to send an email or check the weather app for tomorrow: ban this activity outside the bed and end it so that you can do something relaxing for yourself before going to bed.
- Watch your favorite show every night? Possible through Netflix or Amazon prime. But that has a high price. You pay with valuable hours of sleep that you miss the next day. Series always have the habit of ending in such a way that you always want to keep watching. They lead you into the temptation to want to look more. Often one ponders afterward how it will go on and has no calm thoughts. Try to reduce your TV consumption in the evening and set conscious times for it.
- facebook, Instagram and other social channels are all too tempting to scroll through. An endless loop. Advertising should tempt us to go back to other sites to discover them. It chases you one time-eater after the other… These channels are like a “see and be seen” and not recommended for your thoughts and for your relaxation. Think about whether this really fulfills you and makes you happy. How about social-media-fasting on some days or even a longer period. Use the time for reading, playing with your family, or sharing. Your real-life can be so much more colorful and fulfilling if you want it to be.
- You’re lying in bed and your thought carousel doesn’t want to end? Sometimes they turn your thoughts so fast that you lose the overview. You can no longer concentrate. You feel full in your head and empty at the same time. And actually you should be asleep after all… Take a piece of paper and a pen, take a deep breath and write down your thoughts. On the note – out of mind. Write about your plans the next day, write down your thoughts from the day before. Always write down something that made you especially happy that day. Even if they are “little things” like the friendly “Good Morning” from the newspaper seller or the blooming flowers in the garden. After that, you will be able to sink into your pillows relieved and need not worry anymore. It’s all on your note.
- Relaxing is only possible with time. Time for you! You mean you don’t have time? Then create space for yourself: Well, logically you are indispensable for your family and you can also do many things best. Honestly, nobody wants to make the post mad for you. That’s why you do everything. But is it really about that? It’s ok if others don’t do the things to be done as quickly as you do or differently. Try to give up to have more time for you. What can you give away? Walking with your dog, cleaning out and putting away the dishwasher, doing laundry – and hanging out, setting the table, taking out the garbage and there’s certainly so much more you can think of. Think about it together. Your family will be happy if you trust them and give them responsibility. For you, this means a huge gift of time. Time to put your feet up, time to have a cup of tea in peace and quiet.
- Next cue, “Do nothing.” Doing nothing is difficult for you? What do you do when you have “time”? Are you on your mobile phone checking the latest posts, making phone calls and cleaning up the kitchen at the same time? The phone call goes longer and you sweep the house by the way? Water the flowers, start cooking or put the laundry together. The next day is planned at the same time. Wow. We can’t congratulate you on your “I-can-do-everything-once-and-
then-also-quickly”. Without breaks, you will destroy yourself sooner or later. And you certainly know that. It is important to think about yourself and to try not to do anything. Yes, it is difficult if it is already part of everyday life and yes, you will manage it. I know that all too well. Let go, give things away and take care of yourself. I had to learn it hard again “to do nothing” and to enjoy doing nothing again without having a bad conscience. Resting is relaxing for you and will let you sleep again at night.
- Nicotine, coffee, and alcohol: That sounds like a normal part of your everyday life – at least in parts? There’s the morning coffee, the coffee in between, cigarettes during breaks, the afternoon coffee, the visiting coffee, the “oh-I-am-tired-and-need-a-wake-coffee” and in the evening there’s the evening beer, the “I-must-relaxing-beer”, the visiting wine, the Friday evening wine and the weekend alcohol, the “today-was-a-shit-day-drink” and the “today-was-a-mega-day-drink”, as well as the “it-is-a-sun-cocktail” and also the “today-is-it-cold-glowing-
wine”. It’s not hard to get by without alcohol all year long.. Alcohol, coffee and often also cigarettes (because one is so stressed) pull themselves through our everyday life. Over weeks, months and years. Alcohol promotes falling asleep – however, strongly prevents sleeping through. It confuses your sleep rhythm and you wake up the next day on wheels. You don’t have to drink a lot of alcohol to notice it the next day. Coffee consumption doesn’t let you relax in the long run, nor does nicotine. Our proposed solution: Try not to drink coffee too late and not excessively. Everyone copes with coffee differently. Replace it partially with tea or decaffeinated coffee… Alcohol fasting works wonders for your body and lets you see things more clearly and leads to more conscious consumption. How about a challenge with your partner or friends. Enjoy the next month alcohol-free… There are wonderful non-alcoholic cocktails and great drinks. We have recipes on our blog. Well and the dear nicotine… that this is unhealthy, you know. You just push your worries away for a short time – you won’t achieve real relaxation with him.
- Sometimes you are stressed in the evening and don’t know why? Reflect your day. What has happened to you, what has thrown you off track, what occupies you? If it helps, write down your thoughts.
- You grind your teeth at night and feel like you have complete body tension. With tension, you just can’t sleep well. Ask your partner to pamper you with a massage. That relaxes, brings peace and at the same time a couple of time ;-). In addition, warm relaxation baths with essential oils are beneficial. How would it be afterward nestled in the bed with an audiobook for muscle relaxation? Conscious of and relax helps your body to let go.
- And what if you’re actually in a good mood, there weren’t any special incidents and you just can’t sleep? The good, that is completely normal and happens. Seldom not being tired is okay. Here we advise you to do concentration exercises in bed: Lie down, put your hands on your stomach and breathe in and out calmly. The light is naturally switched off. We want to get tired 😉 Your task is to concentrate only on your breathing. Not on the ticking of the clock, the creaking of the stairs or any other noises. Try it out. In the beginning, it is not so easy to stay with yourself and not let your thoughts wander. With time you get better and better, you come to rest and fall asleep blissfully.
- What does your bedroom look like? Make your bedroom comfortable. Clean up rooms, unnecessary bits and pieces disappear into the cupboards, dirty laundry does not lie around on the floor, it is ventilated, a relaxed smell floats in the room ( e.g..: Lavender: it relaxes and also helps against moths 😉 ), candles for a cosy atmosphere and soft light … even if you think that you “only sleep” in the room, this room should get a lot of attention from you. The bedroom is the room where we spend most of our time in life and it deserves to have a cozy, warm atmosphere so that you can look forward to it. Every day and every night. This feeling will be transferred to you and you will be much more relaxed in your bedroom and sleep.
- The temperature makes a lot of difference. Do you know this: your feet are cold to fall asleep, you start to sweat under the blanket, but after a while, it’s too chilly again without the blanket. A constant covering and uncovering begin. You do not come to rest. In the worst case, you are even awake again. Tip: Take a close look at your ambient temperature: How warm is the room? 16-19 Celsius is optimal. Do you have enough fresh air, what material is your duvet and pillow made of? How is your mattress? All very important factors that contribute to a good night’s sleep. Products made of breathable cotton and other natural materials such as latex or bamboo regulate the temperature. Mattresses with pimples let the air circulate, massage and at the same time have less room for mites.
- Allergies: Are you allergic to dust or house dust mites? Ensure a clean bedroom, enough fresh air and equip yourself with allergy-friendly sleeping systems. This gives you and your body the peace and quiet you need to sleep.
- Are you the classic candidate with cold feet? Almost all year round? Sometimes the hands or the tip of the nose are also affected? Welcome to the club. Not only women are affected and it can have many different causes. Let’s exclude the too short duvet and also any illness is mostly the reason that you have low blood pressure and/or not so many muscles that can warm you. Hot-water bottles and socks have proved their worth. Please make sure that they sit loosely and do not constrict anything and that they are made of natural material. You sweat in plastic. And that again leads to you freezing.
- Make your bed in the morning: 1. you have already done a job and 2. you will be happy every evening to go to a made bed.
- all well and good and what do people do who work at different times and therefore simply can’t get regularity into their sleep and mealtimes? Shift work is a special challenge for your organism. All the more important that you find and use relaxation rituals for yourself as well as firm rituals in relation to sleep. You should try to keep the sequence of shift work good: from early noon to late at night, with a few days break in between to adjust to the early time.
- Rituals, rituals, rituals: Rituals help us all our lives. They give us security. They give us inner peace because we know what awaits us. Rituals can be entered anew at any time. Find out which time is good for you to go to sleep and to be fitter in the morning, choose a few of the suggested tips and try to integrate them. Reading, painting or listening to an audiobook? 9 or 8 hours of sleep? Tea or hot milk? Walk or sport? Massage or hot bath? See what you feel comfortable with, what appeals to you and try yourself out and be patient with yourself. Try to relax and trust yourself and your body.
- Are you noise and/or light-sensitive? Then earplugs and a sleep mask could help you. They shield you from annoying noises or light sources. Your sight muscles can relax. When the brain perceives total darkness, it increases the production of melatonin, the hormone responsible for sleep. Often the eye area is affected by stress and tension, which can lead to premature skin aging and wrinkles as well as headaches. Sleep masks help to calm the mind and provide a deeper sense of relaxation. You don’t have to become a yoga guru right away, just drink herbal tea or read poetry volumes or become an athlete to be able to sleep relaxed. For all these points there are good alternatives. Just as it does a walk in the fresh air, audiobooks, listening to relaxed, quiet music and a glass of water.
- Does that mean that you won’t have any stress until your lifetime, just so that you can sleep well? Well, we can’t choose and sometimes we can’t influence that. In addition, each of us stresses other things. Your body tolerates stress. There is also positive stress. Stress can drive and motivate you. Sometimes, but not permanently. If you have too many stress factors in the long run, at some point your sleep, your everyday life and your life will start to suffer. At the latest then all alarm bells should go off and your personal everyday life should be viewed very critically and things should be changed. Changes are possible every day. Here and now.
- Your body does not relax immediately? You have now read and learned so much about how you can come to rest so that you have the option to sleep well again and it does not want to work immediately? Give your body time. You have been feeding him stress for years, ignoring the signs and probably running over many stop signs. Your body needs to understand that you are serious and really want to relax. He has to adjust and learn to relax. Your body is a complex system that deserves to rest “in peace”. Be patient with yourself, breathe and trust yourself. You will be able to relax again.